Friday, February 01, 2008

haunted by Beethoven

There's this incredibly cool site where you can listen to music (no downloads or stuff). You choose your mood, music genre, era and off you go.

I hit dark, classical, and the next thing I know I'm hearing Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement. Which is, oh, just like the piece that's been invading my head for days. It's also the piece I've been trying to learn, and you know, there's this guy called Horowitz, and even though I've been practising on and off for a couple of months I don't know if I'm at half his speed yet. I keep increasing speed (on the metronome), and each time I'm surprised I can keep up, and each time I'm horrified to find out that I'm STILL not playing fast enough dammit.

Then again, I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I'm probably a much better pianist than I was when I just completed my Grade 8 piano. 7 years ago I'd never even have considered playing any of the stuff I'm playing now. I mean, I'm still no good now, but better. (which tells you how bad I was) I think it's something to do with my learning the violin. Learning the violin taught me muchos about playing music, even though it didn't really teach me how to play the violin well. And well, perhaps I'm actually interested in playing the piano now. I've got a bad bad feeling though, that if I actually get around to taking piano lessons again I'll find myself woefully inept.

Anyway, to all of you out there, life sucks quite a bit for me now, so watch out for the fangs and claws. (though you're probably more likely to get whines and buckets of angst)

No comments: