Tuesday, November 20, 2007

recoiling in disgust

This was my last comment in a discussion I had:

" Wow. I must say you left me speechless for a moment. I'm... flabbergasted.

On one hand, you say that you reject moral relativism, and would fight to uphold your moral values. On the other hand, you say that in this world justice is relative and some injustice is ok, provided conservatives are not at the receiving end of the injustice.

On one hand, you say that you will, given the chance, deprive certain individuals of equality and freedom. On the other hand, you say that this is tolerance and love.

On one hand you say you don't know enough to tell others what to do. On the other hand you say you know enough about the reality of this world to tell others what to do.

To be frank, the views you've espoused seem to me wrong on so many levels... they're contradictory, and more importantly, repulsive. So repulsive that I really don't understand how you can believe that your views are morally right. If our conscience is God-given, mine is obviously telling me something very different from yours.

Gosh. It's difficult for me to even articulate how I feel about your views... Your answers seem cold and depressing and harsh and evil to me, and I'm even quite afraid of you. I guess different eyes really see different worlds huh.

Nevertheless, thank you for your answers, and unless you have any response to my comments, I don't think I feel like flooding you with questions anymore."

Now what the topic of the debate was isn't important (suffice to say it was triggered by the Great Homosexuality Debate). I just need to fully express my feelings about this! Because even though my language was far from diplomatic in my comment, it is actually very restrained, as compared to how I really feel.

If I met this person, I would really recoil in horror from him. I don't want to have to shake his hand, don't want to touch him, don't want to have to breathe the same air as him. Because what he says is SO abhorrent to me, and because of his attitude. The way he carelessly flings these repulsive statements and still maintains his air of self-righteousness. In fact, a large part of the reason why I don't want to talk to him anymore is because I feel polluted even talking to him. I'm just so disgusted and repulsed and horrified and frightened of him that at the moment, it'd be best if I never spoke to him or heard about him again. I feel as if I've been wading in slime. I feel as if a cockroach or a snail just slithered over my legs. I just don't want to deal with something as abhorrent and incomprehensible as him ever again.

My emotional reaction to him is almost visceral. In the days of my cavemen ancestors did they have to deal with an opponent like him and therefore passed down genes that make me react to him the way I would react to someone licking up a big piece of snot? Major eewness. But I've got the feeling that somewhere down the road we'll rehash this argument again. Sigh. Eew. I've got the creepy crawlies. :(

Ah yes, I know how to describe it. It's as if I set out to hunt a wolf, something savage and dangerous, but natural and understandable and not evil. Then I discover I'm actually hunting a vampire, horrifying, disgusting, incomprehensible, evil. And I'm so scared I don't care about hunting it already. I just want to escape and hope it doesn't find me and forget vampires even exist and never have anything to do with it ever again. Yes. That describes it perfectly *cries*

No comments: