Saturday, May 24, 2008

Songs!

I woke up today with my head full of old songs, and LSB has gone downstairs just to escape my singing :(



I've always felt that this is a song that manages to be sad AND noble.

Ol' man river,
Dat ol' man river
He mus'know sumpin'
But don't say nuthin',
He jes'keeps rollin'
He keeps on rollin' along.

He don' plant taters,
He don't plant cotton,
An' dem dat plants'em
is soon forgotten,
But ol'man river,
He jes keeps rollin'along.

You an'me, we sweat an' strain,
Body all achin' an' racket wid pain,
Tote dat barge!
Lif' dat bale!
Git a little drunk
An' you land in jail.

Ah gits weary
An' sick of tryin'
Ah'm tired of livin'
An' skeered of dyin',
But ol' man river,
He jes'keeps rolling' along.




There're plenty of slow versions on Youtube, but I really prefer the uptempo version. It's much more french, non? I've always enjoyed playing this song on the piano.



Keep the home fires burning!

Somehow I feel as if I'm in a World War songs mood...

No comments: