Saturday, December 08, 2007

this interview

I'm having a horrible time with this particular interview... I can't make out half the words, and the transcript is literally littered with question marks.

But I'm developing a lot of affection for a person long dead as his brother talks about him. He's starting to become one of my heroes. This is quite horrendous, and LSB will probably laugh his head off at me. I also probably shouldn't admit such weirdness (on my part) in public.

And all the interviews have this very palpable sense of loss that is very saddening. It's strange to hear about events not so long ago, yet very distant. It also feels very weird to listen to these old men recount the past because they all seem to know each other, and it feels a bit as if I'm given a brief tour of a small, exclusive circle.

But it's all very saddening as they talk about what they should have done, and what wasn't fair, and what it was all like back then, recalling all those dear friends and colourful personalities who've now passed on. This is why I don't like history.

No comments: