DAMN. I just watched Raise the Red Lantern and now I really understand why my friend was so shocked when I told her I hadn't watched it before. It's utterly breathtaking. Zhang Yimou's recent films really don't measure up. Damn. You absolutely have to watch it if you haven't yet. It's damn near perfect, really absolutely glorious.
I'm still recovering from the effects. This is undoubtedly one of the best films I've ever seen. It's hard to even think of a film that could compete with it.
Some of my recent release (ie. in the past few years) favourites include:
- Waitress
- Moliere
- Tony Takitani
- Little Miss Sunshine
- Pretty Persuasion
- the Helen Mirren one... The Queen, was it?
- the German film... Summer Storm (if anyone knows where to get the dvd for this, pls tell me. It's one of my favourites but no freaking shop in sg sells it.)
- Munich
- V for Vendetta
- Hotel Rwanda
I'm afraid none of these recent favourites can compare to Zhang Yimou's film. Well, perhaps Summer Storm. I really liked that one, perhaps partly because the dvd's so hard to get. And films like Brokeback & The Producers didn't even make my list. And no, neither did LOTR.
And as compared to the (IMO) best films of long ago...
- I seriously think Schindlers' List loses out.
- Ditto for Dr Strangelove.
- All about Eve loses out.
- (I'm sorry LSB, Duck Soup doesn't even make the list)
- All Quiet on the Western Front loses out.
- I'm afraid all the '30s, '40s & '50s musicals that I'm so fond of (don't ask. guilty pleasure.) lose out.
- I really liked No Man's Land, but no go there either.
- Paths of Glory again good, but not good enough.
The only film I can think of that can match Raise the Red Lantern would be One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, one of my favouritest of my favourites.
Then again, I desperately need to fill in the gaps. For example, Citizen Kane is long overdue, as is Clockwork Orange and Farewell My Concubine. I also think that I'm missing a good part of the 1990s & all of the 1980s... seriously, what was good from back then? Plus I've conveniently skipped some genres like horror & film noir (spare me...). Oh and I skipped The Godfather altogether. Can I do that? Am I missing something really good?
But damn. Raise the Red Lantern is a damn good film. Watch it. No number of expletives can adequately express how good it is. That's how good it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment