Friday, March 21, 2008

Music

So the music diversification programme is in full swing.

After exploring the Sex Pistols & some folk music, I went on to take a look at Velvet Underground. I don't particularly like the recordings with Nico, her voice grates on me for some reason. But the song I actually quite like is this somewhat NC-16, not particularly safe for work song:



I was at HMV the other day, and seriously considered buying their CD, but resisted the temptation to splurge. But I did feel quite superior, looking for Velvet Underground CDs instead of whatever people like to listen to nowadays. Hilary Duff or something. Then I went up to the Asian music section and started looking for a couple of bands Kobe Girl's (hehehe) colleague recommended, as well as Dir en Grey CDs, which my sis introduced to me a couple of years ago. Again, feeling superior to people looking for Ayumi. Think my cool factor just increased exponentially.

Anyway, I successfully stopped myself from buying anything till I hit the classical section, at which point I simply died and went to Waterloo. I came across a CD by Heifetz with Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto D major and Mendelssohn's Concerto E minor, and I was totally like, girl you can't buy this, it's 26 good bucks and don't you have that Mendelssohn (albeit played by Joshua Bell) already? But I was also like, hey it's Heifetz and didn't I save myself hundreds of dollars by NOT buying all those previous CDs? In any case let's get a listen to this CD. And then I was like, damn this is good stuff, but maybe I can get the Itzhak Perlman version of the Tchaikovsky at 21 bucks, so let's listen to that as well. And then I was like, damn I don't like the Perlman version as much as Heifetz's. So in the end I was like, if the Heifetz version is better than the Perlman version, that's saying something, so I have no choice to get it. Seriously man, the exigencies of this world compel me to buy this CD.

And that's how I broke my no extraneous purchases rule. Not in the rock n roll or Japanese music section, but in the good ol' Classical & Jazz section. As usual. Which just shows that diversify as much as you want, there are some things that you can't diversify away from.

I don't think my music classes taught me how to play my instruments well, but they certainly taught me to love music, and that's good enough for me. And now I'm feeling really sick, which doesn't have anything to do with music or music classes, but has a lot to do with sniffing and tissue and general grossness. Shall spare you guys from that.

No comments: