Saturday, October 14, 2006

it's been a long day

I actually watched 2 movies today, The Fog of War and Les Amants Reguliers.

The first was ok, interesting enough. McNamara is, of course, an intriguing character, and it's nice to hear his version of what happened. I thought it was really touching when he broke down while talking about JFK's death though (I'm a sucker for these things). Sometimes we forget that presidents are humans with friends and loved ones too.

Les Amants Reguliers was an elegant, elegiac film, starting with the 1968 riots, and moving on from there. I don't know why, but I was entranced by the quality of the film... and here I really mean how sharp the images were, and how that enhanced the beauty of the black and white images. The shadows and lighting were beautiful...

Anyway, it starts off with idealism and violence and revolutionary ideas, and hopes. And slowly all that gets stripped away, and everyone is gradually co-opted into the system. Disappointment sets in, and weariness, and then resignation. The people who'd been with the protagonist during the riots gradually leave him. All head for a better life. Some hold on to the idea of the revolution, but descend into buffoonery as their ineffectual efforts testify to the lost cause. Most others abandon the cause and become 'bourgeois'. The 'Establishment', at first seen by the protagonist as these 'lousy bastards' who clobber women and sneak up on barricades, are actually nice, genial, if shrewd old men... But they're part of the system nonetheless, and they triumph in the end, as the police officer pronounces the protagonist dead. Dead, not fighting for the revolution, but dead from a lousy drug overdose. Death of youth, death of love, death of ideals, death of hope, death of dreams...

The film was very slow, and lasted 3 hours. Only 2/3 of the audience was left by the time we were done. And I think it's a pity that we've become so used to fast-paced Hollywood flicks that we can't adjust ourselves to the pace of slower (but better) films. We can't seem to wait for pleasure anymore, but I think patience is exactly what we need. You don't really understand in the first few minutes of the film; you need to wait for its full flowering to be able to appreciate it. But if you get bored by the end of 10 minutes, then you don't get to taste the many textures and emotions of the film. It was a very 'whole', 'completed' work, and I know that if I could watch it another time, I'd get more out of it, because there's so much more to it.

I loved the frames where the actors/actresses stayed very still for very long... It was not that they froze the frame. The actors just stayed still, but you could tell because they couldn't really stay perfectly still. It was like a 'live' portrait, very aesthetically pleasing. (most of them were portrait shots)At times I thought the actors/actresses looked like flowers in their fragility and their 'aliveness' and their stillness. It's as if the director had wanted that moment of time frozen forever, like an old photograph, yet better, because this photograph breathed and lived.

And the sense of history in the film... Perhaps the director assumed mistakenly (this is Singapore after all) that the popular history of 'barricades in the Latin Quarter' was known to the audience. I don't think some people got the references.

Anyway, I'm hopelessly tired. I think I over-committed myself. Usually I'm very careful about giving myself enough time and space (because I'm both extremely introverted and a low energy level creature). Unfortunately this time I thought maybe for once, I could forget about that and go all out. As a result I'm exhausted. The languages I'm learning, music, school, films, the thesis, the extra papers that I might have to write even... I want to do all of that very very badly. But I'm tired, very rapidly losing my sense of humour, and currently, my thoughts feel like a swarm of intoxicated bees.

No comments: