Wednesday, April 23, 2008

rumination

Yay my wireless is up. The day after I got my laptop back from repairs my wireless crashed. (T_T)

Anywayz, I've got a whole backlog of things to blog about. Actually I had two backlogs but I forgot half of it already.

First of all, I'm sorry, I love perfume reviews, but this is just funny: "The perfume conveys its, if you will, French style or Chanel world-view through its intuition for pure lines - like a French window, a French garden - in its sense of refined, controlled, balanced and clear, Cartesian elegance. At the same time there is to be found a sense of Baudelairean voyage to the perfume..."

I beg your pardon? Cartesian elegance and Baudelairean voyage? Are we really talking about a perfume here?

-------------------------------

I've just returned from a play that I got to watch courtesy of some very nice people, and that I HAD to watch and had to watch ALONE courtesy of LSB. It wasn't very good and tickets went at a whopping 50bucks (I had free tickets, else I wouldn't have stepped into the place.), but it was for charity. I guess it's only for charity that you're allowed to put up a lousy performance, over-charge people for it and THEN receive thunderous applause. Hmmpf. The last time I was in that theatre, I'd paid less than 20bucks (I think) to watch an excellent AND thought-provoking AND creative production of Hamlet, so damn charity.

I don't know, I didn't like the acting, it was all very stiff and self-conscious. I also didn't like the cannot-make-it fake accents, though it might have been some kind of voice-projecting technique that they teach. But it grates on my ears to hear kids with a very pronounced Singaporean accent labour over a snooty Brit accent.

Even the play was rather didactic (it was J.B. Priestley's An Inspector Calls), and all the moralising got tiring after a while. The plot was totally predictable except for the end, but then again I thought the final twist was kind of cheap. I was actually wondering how the playwright could possibly end the play given the way the plot was going (do NOT watch plays under the influence of LSB), and I guess this seemed like the only way. But still! cheap!

Oh yeah, it didn't help that throughout the first half of the play I kept smelling something very very familiar and I kept getting distracted by the smell, trying to find out where it was coming from and why it smelt so familiar. I solved the first - I'd let a stranger rub lotion on my hand (scandalous!) before watching the play. But the second... no answer yet. It's like that time I kept thinking a perfume smelled really familiar but couldn't place it until my mum came along and told me it smelled like the hair gel my dad used like, ten years ago.

Really, you guys should see me on the MRT to work. I'm like totally sniffing at people's armpits all the time cos there're too many perfumes wafting around the carriage. Drives me crazy!

-------------------------------------

Nowadays I've been thinking about male butts. Not in a dirty way! And not just the male derriere in general, but a certain species of guy bottoms. The ones that are exceedingly feminine. It just disturbs me that some male butts possess a distinctly child-bearing silhouette. I'm not talking about perky butts or tiny butts. I'm talking male butts with an overwhelmingly womanly, almost maternal curve. They disturb me. They truly do.

And I know you're totally not interested in this, but nope, LSB does NOT possess of a feminine butt. After more than 3 years of careful observation, I can most confidently proclaim that LSB's butt is safely in the masculine-male genus. I know, I know you don't want to hear me talk about LSB's butt, and the above-mentioned butt is probably writhing with sheer embarrassment in its seat as the attached eyes and brains process the undeniable fact that I'm talking about said butt on a public blog. Too bad, I say.

[Deity of choice] help me should this blog fall into the wrong hands.

-------------------------------------

I read a BBC article about this academic who makes the stunning argument that people love their ipod so much because it helps them assert control over their environment. (can't find article now) Is it just me or is that idea not terribly new? I'd assumed everyone knew that already. Perhaps I'm just brilliant? Oh what am I saying, of course I am.

------------------------------------

Ok that's it. I forgot what else I had to say. Besides, work tomorrow!

No comments: