This very very serious post was inspired by this post at a blog I always visit cos the guy's funny and ten kinds of nice in a good way.
My friends often say that I seem to expect very little of them and not miss them at all when they're away. Which is absolutely true. I think it's because of that that I don't really get into major tiffs with friends. I don't get all worked up thinking that someone's being insensitive or uncaring or someone doesn't appreciate me as much as he/she should, and it's perfectly alright if friends disappear for months for whatever reason as long as I know we're still friends. Which is why I really don't understand why certain quarrels are so hard to resolve. (ahem :P)
I figure that since I spend most of my time not thinking or caring about my friends, there's no reason why I should expect any of my friends to spend any significant amount of time thinking about me. Most of my mental (and a large part of my emotional) effort goes into the constant inner struggle over whether I should finish up that chocolate bar in my fridge. (there's always a chocolate bar in the fridge) So I fully expect my friends to be more concerned about dinner than about me, and I fully expect them to contact me only when they're bored/ need help/ need company. And it's ok.
In the same way, because I'm never able to remember faces and names, if I have met someone only once or twice, I expect him/her to have forgotten me, and am pleasantly surprised when he hasn't. (and very embarrassed because 99% of the time, I've forgotten who he is. Also, when I introduce myself again, they're like, dude, I know who you are.)
On the other hand, for those people (read: LSB) whom I think about only slightly less than chocolate, I feel terribly devastated when I find that no, LSB has not been thinking of me at all, omg why doesn't he think about me does he still love me?!?!?! *silent scream, pulls hair out* And if he still hasn't remembered my birthday you better take a step back cos I don't know what I might do. But you know, it puts a lot of pressure on the relationship when I'm like that. Well, at least I know that I'm more than a bit neurotic when it comes to LSB and I'm trying my best to take a more laid-back approach and to expect less of my boyfriend-who-is-an-utter-caveman-and-not-a-SNAG-at-all. *sigh*
Ok, I took a nap just now and woke at 1am, so many more sleepless hours to go...
No comments:
Post a Comment