Friday, May 29, 2009

The Inter-webs

I'm on my 2nd consecutive day of MC (and the 3rd day of MC this week). What can I say... I don't deal well with coughs. Anyway, it's been a tough couple of weeks, so I'm taking this very very much treasured opportunity (when was the last time I had more than a one-day leave? And when was the last time my leave wasn't for unofficial but Very Serious and Important business & errands? Last June?) to take a breather and feel like myself again.

So that basically means music & Internet. Internet means news and Cute Overload. The big problem I have with the news is that it's so often bad. Evidence of resistance to anti-malaria drugs, suicides, murders... what else, oh, possibility of nuclear war (almost slipped my mind). Cute Overload balances it all out, with wunnerful pictures of cute furry (and sometimes not so furry) animals (like this!). Sometimes the comments on CO are also incredibly cute (though the cutest comments are usually the ones not intended to be cute):

I’m Suzannah H’s dad–she sent me a link to the posting. I can verify that she has always loved animals since she was a child (eons and eons ago), particularly little cute ones like Coco.

But I had no idea there was as much interest among the general public! It took me 30 minutes just to read all the comments, so how long did it take to write them all??? I mean, don’t you folks have JOBS and all???


and

When I got married we went camping and were entertained for days by the momma raccoons. Playing duelling Banjos with the stretchy cords that we used to close the coolers. Although one friend was sitting on top of the car when we got back from getting ice and firewood the first night. He did not remember that the raccoons are smarter than the average city boy and would look cute for potato chips to be tossed, while getting thier friend to steal said bag from right next to him. It scared him badly. Don’t even get me started on the squirrel incident.


Ah it's all about the balance, the Yin and the Yang, the fulcrum and the er... ok let's leave it at that.

Oh and I almost left out the big perfume news (even though approximately 0.002 people in the world apart from myself pay any attention to this segment of NoctisEqui news). I bought Guerlain Vetiver! Finally! After waiting for so long. But *ahem* it's for my dad. It is the most wonderful scent! I bought the biggest bottle available. *twiddles fingers* I should also mention that I bought my 1st Annick Goutal. On the same day. Price? *waves airily* Let's not talk about such crass things and focus on the beautiful and strange smell that is Mandragore! Who needs to eat anyway, huh?

Though I also have to mention that you can forget about niche perfumes being cool and whatnot in Singapore as it seems to be the territory of aunties. Not even your elegant somewhat foreignly-accented taitais. No, real honest to goodness aunties. The salesperson was like, 'Oh you know about these lines ar, then you must know perfume la. Got Sage Lutahns (Serge Lutens) and Ah-nick Gootal (Annick Goutal), very good one." Then she sprayed perfume liberally on my arm, raised my arm to her nose, and SNIFFED, and she was like, 'Ahhhh. So nice. You smell?' (no kidding!) And it seemed that every other customer and salesperson in that area was exactly like that. One customer was like, 'Long time never buy already, so come and see got what new perfume, then in the end buy so many bottles ah.'

Looks like my first initiation into auntiehood is complete.

No comments: