Sunday, March 08, 2009

The Miserability of the Eaters of Babies

My colleague and I face each other miserably across my desk. On my desk is a huge tube of Chocobabies that LSB gave me in order to cheer me up. It is trying to do just that, and Chocobabies are dying in the attempt. We each have a pile of Chocobabies in our left hands (because we're both right-handers), and we're silently eating our respective piles. He throws a couple from his pile into his mouth and works at diminishing his pile, but I insist on eating Chocobabies one by one because I want to see if they're genuine Chocobabies. Genuine Chocobabies are the ones with the smiley faces because everyone knows that babies have faces. We (my colleague and I sans the Chocobabies, who are smiling away) are both very gloomy. How ah, he half asks. I confess that I don't know. Eat more, he answers his own question, as he finishes his pile of Chocobabies and pours a new pile on his hand. He places the tube back on my desk and waves me to take more. We laugh loudly-bitterly-helplessly, and my other colleague pops her head in to ask what we are laughing about.

Now there are no more fake or genuine Chocobabies on my desk.

No comments: