Saturday, March 21, 2009

Joy-Sorrow Conundrum

Most of you would be familiar with my classic time-money conundrum, most often employed as a convenient excuse whenever someone invites me to go travelling.

You would not be as familiar with the joy-sorrow conundrum, or at least, my version of it. For after all, I clearly remember George Eliot giving a particularly concise articulation of this conundrum in The Mill on the Floss. Unfortunately, as such things go, I can't find my copy when I need it (I never do), so I can't refer to the book for the quote. I shall therefore have to rely on the Internet, and I don't really think that the quote I've found is the quote I'm looking for. It doesn't quite have the same meaning as my joy-sorrow conundrum.

Nevertheless, here is George Eliot - "Apparently the mingled thread in the web of their life was so curiously twisted together that there could be no joy without a sorrow coming close upon it."

I can't tell if the tangle is my life, or me, or maybe it's the same thing. But won't this darn mess ever get sorted out?

No comments: