Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Series of updates

I'm insanely happy today because my teacher praised me! Albeit in his usual double-edged way haha... Dammit, I love to be praised. I am totally a closet teacher's pet (but will never admit this offline, 'cos I have my rebel-hates-teachers image to upkeep, ya'know?)

Unfortunately, nowadays the happy things tend to be tainted with the thought that I might not get to enjoy them for very much longer. *emos away*

____________________________________________

I remember the day I got 'The News' and crossed that mental threshold to realise that 'It' might really happen.

As is my usual practice when I'm faced with reality that I'm not quite prepared to face, I took a long walk in my neighbourhood. I was thinking how everything seems brighter and more beautiful when you're getting further from it... and of course I walked out of Cold Storage (hey who says you can't take walks in Cold Storage?) into the most glorious sunset I have seen in ages. You know, the type with the golden glow and painted skies and silhouetted trees. And I thought, wow is it just me or is this place totally reflecting my thoughts today?

Then I looked up at the sky and saw two (not one but TWO) brilliant rainbows stretching in huge arcs over the entire sky. At that point, I might have been observed to raise my eyes to the heavens and plaintively demand, 'Isn't this a bit much?'

And then, right then, my handphone rang, and it was my 2 sisters who happened to be on the opposite side of the street. They'd spotted me and excitedly told me about the rainbows. Then they ran laughing across the street to meet me.

I should have turned delightedly towards them and lovingly gathered them in my arms while seagulls called and the wavelets caressed the sand... but I just silently groaned at the corny movie that is my life and refused to participate in any of its silly theatrics.

True story, I swear. I couldn't even make this up myself.
________________________________________

I have officially reached the pinnacle of my career today, and accomplished the one thing I will spend the rest of my life boasting about.

This story requires a bit of background. You should know that before joining my organisation, I was (and am) an IT idiot. More specifically, for the purposes of this story, I have never taken a course on MS Excel, and had to learn how to sum figures on the job. Just a few months ago, my colleague was horrified that I did not know about the 'black cross thingy', and was Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V-ing in order to replicate cells. So let's get this clear, my Excel sucks bigtime.

Today, I created an incredibly sophisticated (by my standards) excel form! I used the SUMIF function (which I've only heard of today), together with the IF function (also just learnt), and the form had drop-down lists and such! Before today I didn't even know it was possible to create drop-down lists in Excel! It was a form that my more technologically advanced colleagues did not know how to create! I am SO incredibly pleased with myself, I am about to frame that form and give it pride of place on my office wall. I am so impressed by myself, I bet I could do quantum physics if I really wanted to. If only I was the one giving me my performance bonuses...

Kowtow before my genius, ye masses of only ordinary intelligence!
_______________________________________________

To reiterate, yay I got praised today!

No comments: