Tuesday, July 24, 2007

What the...

I pick up my cell. A lady asks for Elaine in an accent I identify as my friend's fake secretary voice. She's pulled that fake accent on me before, so I gloat and think to myself 'Not this time, you evil friend!'

'Yes, what is this?' I try my best to convey that I am so sick of this, and haven't you anything better to do?

'I am XX from XX bank.'

Oh oh...

'Do you have a moment now?'

I start to waver. 'Er, not really.' Still trying to sound gruff, just in case it's really my friend.

'Ok, I'll call back in the evening. Thanks.'

Oh shit.

Repeat to self a hundred times: My friends are too old to prank call me. My friends are waaaaay too old to prank call me. Dammit we're on the threshold of middle age already! Argh.

No comments: